Old January 29th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default How Did I Miss This One?

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:
>> [I have long held that a system like this is the ONLY way we will ever
>> eliminate traffic congestion - we simply cannot build roads fast
>> enough to outpace the ability of incompetents and LLBs to clog things
>> up.]

> I hold the same view. However I favor a cheaper solution. That is to
> remove
> the incompetents and LLBs from the road.
>
> BTW, the goal of congestion pricing etc and so forth is one of logging
> and controling travel. If they really wanted to reduce driving a simple
> increase in the gasoline tax would be enough. However the solution always
> seems to involve government control.

The analysis of congestion pricing in London found it was no better than a
traffic control system using present technology. Congestion pricing is
mainly a way for Governments to increase taxes, not to improve traffic.

You of course want it because you hope you Luddite fantasies will come true
by getting people to use transit, which will never happen. Transit is the
equivalent of trying to get people to go back to 8 track tape in an iPod
world. A very sophomoric view of the world.