Old October 15th 04, 07:26 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Rich8" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ahhhhhhhh what a loaded question, which will produce predictable
> results in this group... Damn bloody GPL luddites, hahahha... There
> will never be another GPL, hell I even wonder if GPL could stand up to
> GPL, hahahha..<snip>

The point is whether GTR will be to it's predecessors and peers what GPL
was, and the answer is almost certainly no. GPL, despite it's
now-acknowledged shortcomings, was so far above what had come before it that
it basically redefined the genre. Others have come along and done bits and
pieces better for sure, but no overall game/sim since has raised the bar as
much in one go. Which is natural; the closer you get to true realism, the
less you CAN advance in subsequent steps.

ISI (and their partners, i.e. SimBin) have indeed come a long way, but no
one has yet matched Papy for putting a total package together; physics,
graphics, interface, multiplayer, replay capability, controller support,
etc. I'd say DK's the best bet to surpass that benchmark, or maybe... (you
know who ;-)) But whoever manages it, the day can't come soon enough - I
need a good reason to build a new PC!

SB