Old October 15th 04, 05:07 PM
Jan Verschueren

"john henry bonham" wrote...
> Seems to be quite a buzz about it. I haven't had much
> fun with any racing sims since about 2001.

As a sim, GPL has been surpassed many times over. As a concept I think we
need to wait and see if either rFactor or Keammer's next offering (can't
think of the working title right now) will take off in a big way.

GTR, if it delivers on it's online promise, could attrackt a lot of GPL
simmers to it, but I'm quite sure it won't replace GPL entirely. Partly
because GTR will inherit some issues from earlier ISI games (having to
manually edit files to configer one's controller correctly, e.g.) and partly
because driving an accurate simulation of modern racing cars will require a
lot of discipline from the drivers.

Part of GPL's lasting appeal, I think, is that because of the nature of the
cars and the limitations/inaccuracies of the game, you can, in a driving
sense, push the boat out incredibly far wihtout getting punished for it,
making it simply a lot of fun to play.

Jan.
=---