Old October 29th 05, 06:52 PM
Juan Hanglow

Default MPG after belt + change.

"Jonathan Morton" > wrote in
message ...
> "Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>> Juan Hanglow wrote:
>> > A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
>> >
>> > I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back,

> including
>> > water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
>> > 29..............would this be expected.
>> >

>> If the mechanic changing it got the timing wrong it could do- if for
>> example the valvegear was out by one tooth it would be enough to affect
>> performance but might not damage the engine.

> That thought crossed my mind after I posted my earlier, frivolous, reply.
> But even one tooth would cause a huge loss of power/performance, wouldn't
> it?
>
> Juan, is performance otherwise unaffected?
>
> Regards
>
> Jonathan

no, performance is much the same, if anything a little better. This made me
think it adjusted the timing a little................so if that's the case
then it would consume a little more fuel. This with the added thought that
everything is tight and may require more power. The job was carried out by a
very competent garage..........I made sure about that.