Old July 2nd 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

Amuzi:

This http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...”-Tire-Gauge

just arrived in the mail today, and I am most impressed by its heft and construction quality! Compared to my Accu
Gage and my digital Longacre, the head unit itself is HUGE - and this is just the deluxe, not the pro version! I
would say slightly smaller than a standard tennis ball. Thick red hose, 17" long, solid chuck, this gauge seems
almost overbuilt for its purpose in life: Accurately dialing in cold tire pressure on all four tires of a motor vehicle.

I went out and checked the pressure of one of my tires with it, and it seems to go effortlessly about returning a
reading. And yes, it holds the reading solidly, until I dump it via the bleed valve - which takes about 2-3seconds
of holding in the bleeder button. Plus, it glows in the dark for those who need to check a tire out on the road after
dark.

I called Longacre Racing to find out what kind of design it is(Bourdon vs spring) and the gentleman who answered
the phone(right away, no menus "please press 1" crap by the way)confirmed it is Bourdon, as all their analog gauges
have been for over ten years. What he was unable to confirm with me was the ANSI(American National Standards)
grade this gauge would fall under - AA <0.5%, A <1.0%, B <2%, etc. Never even heard of the department.

He did say that the Deluxe is a "3-2-3%" gauge as far as accuracy is concerned: 3% accuracy below 20psi and
above 40psi, and 2% from 20-40psi. So for a required reading of IE: 35psi exactly, that's plus/minus 0.7psi. For a
reading of 50psi, that's an error of 1.5psi.

Supposedly their basic digital gauge is 0.8% accurate, or plus/minus 0.28psi at our example, 35psi, with resolution
down to 0.2(one fifth) of 1psi. I just don't like waiting 2-3 sec. for an exact reading!

So I'll see how my new Longacre deluxe analog hold up with regards to repeatability.