Old October 29th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

Default Decent thermostats?

clifto wrote:
> I used to like Robertshaw but I can't figure out where they went.
>
> I replaced the OEM-looking 'stat in my wife's '94 Acclaim with a Stant
> last year. The temperature went from rock-steady at all times to very,
> very variable, sometimes approaching overheating when I'd idle in a parking
> lot after a good drive. Looking at the brand-new Stant in front of me
> next to the OEM-looking oldie, it's obvious the flow hole in the Stant
> is considerably smaller.
>
> Went to AutoZone and they sell three no-name brands, all of which looked
> to me like cheap tin stampings (though they had about the right size of
> flow hole) so I took a pass.
>
> The rubber bushings (!) in the OEM-looking 'stat are cracked badly, or
> I'd put it back in.

A plumbing supply or real hardware store may have rubber bushings or
washers that fit.

I won't buy an aftermarket thermostats or radiator caps because of my
experience with the former and my father's with the latter. My
father's car gushed coolant with two aftermarket caps but worked fine
when he took the OEM cap off his other car.