Old October 18th 04, 05:59 AM
Mark

Dan Duncan > wrote in message >...
> Mark > wrote:
> > You can stop this oil burning permanently. Here's the story. I
> > bought a Saturn '95 SL2 a couple of years ago and the engine was
> > burning oil quite miserably- at least a quart every 500 miles. I lost
> > track of the oil level and the engine gave up the ghost while on I75.

> Ok, so the above engine is irrelevant because you never tried
> this technique on it.
>
> > So after I had a second engine put in the car I searched for best ways
> > to treat the Saturn. I found out about bypass filters, these
> > secondary filters that are so thick that they remove particles much
> > smaller and more effectively than the OEM filter can. The government
> > did and is doing tests on these filters and find them excellent. I
> > decided to install the Frantz filter made by www.wefilterit.com. Not
> > only does the filter eliminate engine wear providing 2-3x longer
> > engine life (proven by the SAE), it also helps the moving engine
> > components to seat properly and thus will lower oil consumption. In
> > fact my engine now has eliminated the oil burning completely!

> Did the new engine burn any oil before you put this kit on it?

The second engine had 40k miles when it was put in and yes it burned a
quart every 2-3k miles. AFAIK, all older unmodified Saturns with the
1.9L burn oil.

> > You may
> > not believe me but the only remedy is to prove to yourself by doing a
> > little research on the internet. And if you are so inclined it takes
> > about a couple days of planning and 2-3 days of work. The effort is
> > worth it because in the end you get a cleaner/ quieter running engine
> > and the peace of mind when it stops burning oil.

> Where's the evidence this will make an engine STOP burning oil? The
> evidence claims it may keep a good engine from developing an oil
> burning problem.
>
> -DanD

I have no evidence that it will STOP burning oil, only that it will
help greatly reduce the oil burning. I had noticed that the oil
burning tends to get worse when the oil is dirtier. This makes sense
to me because the carbon, or soot, deposited in the oil tends to
absorb heat. When this happens the oil gets hotter and is more prone
to flashing near the piston rings. Several mechanics (I don't know
their names) that have posted on the internet say that a few of the
major problems with the 1.9L are the piston rings tend to get stuck
and also a few problems with valve seals, and sludge around the timing
belt.

When I read quite a few of the reports from various newsgroups from
people who HAD tried the Frantz filter and also read a few of the
gov's research articles I decided that the potential benefits
outweighed the risk.