Old March 26th 08, 04:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

Default 1969 Mustang Shelby GT500-red--01=mx-.jpg (1/1) 166020 bytes

Hey Jack, I really liked the Monza and considered buying one myself except
for one thing: after 4 years with a VW I wanted a car with a real heater and
no more air cooling stuff with little puffs of warm air now and then. But
just like my VW those Corvairs were tail heavy. When one of those rear
wheels tucked under it was game over.

Max

"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
> My first car was a '59 Ford Custom 300. When I got ready to trade it
> off in '65 or '66, I test drove a Mustang. The back end bounced and
> jumped around like it was on a trampoline. I ended up buying a '64
> Covair Monza. Better handling but the same problem reversed, it had
> around 30% on the front and 70% in the rear. I put it in a ditch one
> rainy night, backasswards. No body hurt, just my pride.
>
> Jack
>
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:58:56 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> > wrote:
>
>>I was a poor beginning teacher driving a VW beetle when the Mustang
>>arrived
>>and I remember going in for a test drive in one of the very first hardtops
>>in our part of the country. I couldn't believe the acceleration and
>>immediately had visions of trying to keep the car on the road during the
>>winter months. I liked the look of the car but always saw it as a Falcon
>>with a fancier body and no rear seat room. With 4 passengers the thing
>>sat
>>on its bump stops. So when the time came for me to replace the VW I
>>decided
>>against a Mustang and a Camaro too and got a Volvo 122S with wonderful
>>seats, disc brakes, and total reliability and lots of comfort for 4 people
>>and their luggage.
>>
>>max

. ..