Old April 6th 06, 12:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E38 brake discs lifespan

"La Tercia Real" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> At a recent service my local dealer in Coventry said the front discs
> and pads needed changing, so I gave the go-ahead. Thing is, they were
> changed about two years ago (about 22k miles). That doesn't seem right,
> I don't brake that hard.

I would expect the pads to need changing, especially if you do a lot of town
work. OTOH the disks should last nearer to 100k unless you are racing.

> Also, after changing the brakes, there is a judder on gentle braking at
> high speed, which goes away after about 250 miles.
>
> Same judder happened two years ago after the change of discs, but the
> dealer couldn't find anything wrong.

This will just be a very slight unevenness or misalignment of the disc, they
can't be perfect. As you point out a couple of hundred miles and this will
be smoothed out, so this is nothing to worry about.

> Should discs wear down this quickly?

NO