Old September 25th 04, 02:38 AM
Matt Wette

"David Haggas" > writes:

> "+ Rob +" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >
> > "GRL" > wrote in message
> > > Bangle keeps trying and he is getting better...or at least not as bad on

> > the
> > > small platform 3-series, but he still has not got it. "It" being a good
> > > looking design.

> > That's pretty bad. While not an absolutely hideous design (like the
> > Bangle 5 and 7), it's a clear step down from the heights of elegance and
> > grace reached by the last few iterations of the 3-Series.
> > But BMW fans needn't weep alone about this development. The creation

> of
> > next-generation Bangles appears to be a new German trend. Just take a look
> > at the upcoming Audi A6 and A4. It's as if Audi, in an attempt to mimic
> > BMW's every move, hired Bangle to design a line of cars for them too.
> > As much as I hate to say it (because I dislike SUVs and absolutely

> love
> > the departing classic BMW lines), it looks as if the X5 will soon be far

> and
> > away the most attractive BMW on the market.

> I agree about the departing classic BMW lines, but these too have recently
> been ruined by a Bangle facelift in both the X5 and the 3 series.The E46
> front end looks a complete mess compared to the original - The pointed
> lights and kidney look awkward when before everything blended in with the
> rest of the cars' smooth rather than angular shape. Why couldn't they leave
> it alone for the duration of the model? The X5 has also taken on the
> detrimental oriental look but that will be around for much longer so it is
> understandable the designers had a requirement for it to complement ugly
> siblings

I agree. I have a 330Ci and the rounded kidneys and down-lights are
nicer. However, I really like the look of the new M2 (a bit of
flame-surfacing). Supposed to be here in fall of 2005. Can't wait.

By the way, I heard that E46 was actually a Bangle design.
--
Matthew.R.Wette at jpl.nasa.gov -- I speak for myself, not for JPL.