Old June 28th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Pszemol

Default Carfax, Buying Used, & Craigslist.org

"jim beam" > wrote in message t...
> one more thought - the later models you've been considering have what i
> consider to be a serious deficiency compared to your current vintage -
> lack of front sway bar. the 96-2000 for instance only has sway bars on
> the ex and si models, not the lower models.
>
> i discovered this while having to make an extreme evasive [defensive]
> maneuver to avoid a freeway accident in my [then] new 2000. damned
> thing nearly capsized. i was used to driving an 89 that has sway bars
> as standard, and that pretty much goes wherever you point it, no
> excessive body roll. the 2000, not only did you have to be careful on
> the transition between hard left/hard right, there was no "safety
> factor" in near-accident situations like i describe. i ended up
> retrofitting the 2000 and that dealt with the problem, but i would not
> feel comfortable with one of those vehicles in stock configuration,
> especially as the body is so much heavier and thus more susceptible.

Talking about active safety - how about ABS?
Which model years/trims had it already installed, which not?

Talking more about safety systems... how about air bags?
Would you prefer driving with 20 years old airbag or 8 years old one?

How would seat belts work after 20 years of service?
Are you going to replace them with new ones?

Also, in case of unfortunate accident - how would you think 20 years
old body would perform compared to the 8 years old with no rust?
If you even neglect rust problem (let's say you live below snow band)
then how the next model year compares to the older in crash tests?
Do you think 2000 model year will have upgraded crash test
performance and cabin cage compared to, let's say 1989 model year?