Old June 28th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Pszemol

Default Carfax, Buying Used, & Craigslist.org

"Elle" > wrote in message ...
> "Pszemol" > wrote in message
>> "Elle" > wrote in message
>>> At this point, clean and relatively unmolested is worth
>>> another grand or two to me. I can deal with high mileage
>>> (say 70k - 170k miles).

>> Are you serious? This is what you call high-mileage
>> for a 89-97 civic? Even taking the youngest from your
>> model year list it is 11-12 years of service...
>> Average mileage is 12000 miles per year, so you should
>> on average expect 1997 to have 140k or more...
>> Not mentioning 1989 :-)

> ? What is inconsistent with what I wrote? Of course 70k is
> rare, but I saw a 1995 with 55k miles on ebay this morning
> (it checks out with Carfax). I see a 95 with 177k tomorrow.
> It too checks out with Carfax.

I am not doubting cars like these are there on the market...
You might want to wonder if 1995 with 55k miles is real or not.

Inconsistent is that you call 70k a "high-mileage" in the
range of model years you are considering for purchase.
Maybe I am little strange, but for me 95 model year,
13-14 years old car with 177k miles (12k/year) would be
low or average mileage car. 140k or anything elss than that
would be extremely low mileage for an old car like this.

>>> I am wondering if there is a quicker way of getting this
>>> info out of Carfax, rather than putting in a VIN and
>>> seeing the ads pop up.

>> There is an option to be notify with e-mail message
>> when the car shows up listed in the range of model
>> years / trims you selected...
>> My subscription expired already I cannot check it for you.

> I tried the used car search engine carfax.com and it seems
> to pull up strictly dealers' offerings. But the darn dealers
> do not say a word about when the car came in, when it sold,
> etc.

I am not talking about search engine.
I am talking about automated system emailing you a list
of new cars EVERY day to your inbox. Call their support phone
line and ask for it if you cannot find it on their website.