Old January 25th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Garth Almgren

Default 1983 mustang v6

Around 1/24/2007 3:14 PM, nospam wrote:

> Did those have carbs? Or throttle body FI?

Carb. I believe that '83 was the first and only year that had a carbed
3.8L (lucky me...).

> If it has a carb, you might check to see if there's crap in the float bowl,
> my 73 ranchero had that problem.

Ditto. Once I had the carb rebuilt professionally, V6stang ran a *lot*
better. Added about 4-5mpg to boot.

As Bob said, check the fuel filter while you're at it.

> Also, you might have an intermittent electrical problem, loose/corroded 12
> volts to the coil, etc.

That was my first idea. I know on mine, the insulation on the wires
coming out of the DuraSpark box practically crumbled away to nothing
where they were resting on a edge of the inner fender. Really, the only
way to fix it aside from splicing in a new connector (yuck!) is to dip
the whole plug in liquid electrical tape, plastikote, or an equivalent.
Make sure to mask off the connectors _very_ well before you start...

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |