Old July 25th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

Default are all engines the same?

"Jizzosh" > wrote in message

> Thanks, that has a lot of good stuff.
>
> One more question: I've been reading some stuff on that site, and is it
> better to have a longer stroke or a smaller one?

Longer stroke is usually better for more torque but not as good for high
RPM's

I thought longer was
> better, but it talks about the inverse relationship of volume and
> pressure, and obviously lower volume equals higher pressure.

Don't confuse combustion chamber volume with cylinder volume.

With that
> being said, higher pressure equals higher temperature.

Temperatures must be kept to reasonable limits.

Temperature and
> energy go hand in hand, and it says "the more energy the air-fuel
> mixture has, the more force it exerts on the piston, and the more work
> the piston can do."

too much power, and damage might result.

> --
> Jizzosh
> Jizzosh's Profile:
> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=466362
> View this thread:
> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=596258
>
> http://www.automotiveforums.com

Slow down Josh. You must learn to crawl before you take off running.
View this:

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/video/video/engcycle.wmv

Then consider that a longer stroke has it's advantages and disadvantages.
You will need to understand much more about engine performance before you
will understand the difference. There is more to take into consideration
than just power or performance. Emissions, durability, economy, power, etc.
all have to be considered when designing an engine to do what is required.
Some engines are designed for performance, some for economy. Sorry I can not
take the time to explain all there is to know in this medium, but if you
continue to browse around the web site http://www.cdxetextbook.com/
you will eventually understand enough to ask the right questions and many of
your questions will be explained there.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor