Old July 24th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default are all engines the same?

Generally, as a rule, all internal combustion engines are similiar,
with more exceptions that as a rule. One exception is the Mazda RX8
which I was told by a friend who drives one, is a rotary engine. The
rotary engine will use synthetic lubricant. Most of the characteristics
you list will vary from one engine to another, and to your list, torque
at certain rpms, etc. I think the length of piston rods has a lot to do
with torque, rpms.
Have a look at
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...p? id=1221944

The diesel is another example of differences in engines.