Old April 18th 11, 10:08 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
D. LaCourse

Default Studdable vs studded or how-do-we-cope-in-minnessotta

On 2011-04-18 13:43:03 -0400, Yousuf Khan > said:

> On 18/04/2011 8:38 AM, D. LaCourse wrote:
>> On 2011-04-18 03:44:43 -0400, AD > said:
>>>

>>> Btw Hakka is their summer tire line.
>>> hakkapeliitta is their winter tire line and the lesser all season
>>> trash known as W+ (and sold as the winter tire here)
>>> is just nokian W+ :-)

>> d;o) "Hakka" is an abbreviation for Hakkapeliitta. Hakkas are made by
>> Nokia. My friends and I have called them Hakkas since we first
>> discovered them in the mid 80s.

> Actually they're made by "Nokian" not Nokia. At one time they were the
> same company, but Nokia spun off their tire division after deciding to
> concentrate on cellphones.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Way, way back in the early 80s, there was only one place in the States
to buy Hakkas (afaik), and that was an import tire store in up-state
NY. They were called Nokia Hakkapeliittas. Whether or not the company
was Nokian, I have no idea. But, Nokia was on each tire. There were
no cell phones then. It was a better time than today.

At the time I was a member of a Lutheran Church that was populated
mostly by Finnish Americans. They called them "Nokias". <shrug of
shoulders>

Dave
RS6