Old April 18th 11, 08:44 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AD[_2_]

Default Studdable vs studded or how-do-we-cope-in-minnessotta

On Apr 15, 7:15*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-04-15 05:00:00 -0400, AD > said:
>
> > I've noticed none of the tires offered on tirerack are factory
> > studded.

> > Is that tirerack specific or you could not get factory studded tires
> > in the US of A?

> > A ploy to keep hakkapeliitta 7 out of the US is suspected

> Every snow tire I have ever bought with studs, the tire dealer
> installed the studs. *When I bought Hakkas back in the 80s (before
> anyone knew about them), they arrived at my home with a box full of
> studs. *A local dealer installed them for me. *He asked if I lived on a
> mountain. *When I replied no, he said, "You can now!" *I used studded
> Hakkas back in the 80s for TSD rallies when there was snow/ice on the
> roads, and ice racing on Newfound Lake in NH. *Great tires.

I know. I run summer hakkas on my car
since in the bundocks I live in there is no direzza z1 star spec,
re-11s or ad08s.
Heck, there is not even ecsta xs sold around here

Btw Hakka is their summer tire line.
hakkapeliitta is their winter tire line and the lesser all season
trash known as W+ (and sold as the winter tire here)
is just nokian W+ :-)

I wonder how uniformly you could stud tires at home. I could be
mistaken but I suspect stud retention
wouldn't be all that good.