Old October 14th 05, 12:59 AM
N8N

Harry wrote:
> New ignition switch?
>
> 1990 Geo Metro. When I bought the car, the tip of the ignition key had
> already broken off inside the switch, and remains there. No problems
> until yesterday when I parked, switched the car off, took the *key* out
> ... and the car continued to run.* Even when I can kill the engine
> (car in gear, foot on the brake, let the clutch out), the dash lights
> remain on. (I was advised NOT to allow this *dash lights on* condition
> to continue too long at any one time due to possible coil/car damage:
> advice I have taken.)
>
> New ignition switch? (In this case, a *universal* key/ignition switch
> for $10, since the replacement switch for the Geo is $140.)
>
> Harry Truman
>
> *Actually, once or twice prior to the above problem and while the car
> was running, the keys fell out of the switch and the car continued to
> run. Weird.

I'm thinking that you have two problems:

1) the lock cylinder has a bit of key stuck in it. A good locksmith
should be able to rectify this for you however, and hopefully cut you a
new, complete key. However, you shouldn't theoretically be able to
remove the keys while the engine is running. So I am guessing that the
lock cylinder is toast.

2) the lock cylinder is no longer engaging the electrical portion of
the switch properly, and/or the electrical portion is toast. Or both.
Won't really know until you get it out of there.

now that basically says to me that you have to replace both pieces. I
would stick with the factory switch, unless you also defeat the
steering column locking mechanism somehow... (think about it...)

nate