Old March 18th 04, 03:40 PM
TOXICTAVRN

>I'm looking for a 4x4 car that will excel in >snowy conditions.
>I've had a '91 Jeep Cherokee, a '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport and a '01 Land

Rover Discovery II.
All of them were equipped with stock 4x4 systems, and none of them
impressed me when it came to deep snow capabilities (not so deep that
they landed on their bellies, though. I know >that no car can keep on
moving if all four wheels are in the air...).

>What I'm looking for is a 4x4 that without modifications are built to

eat through snow with all four wheels turning.
I've heard that the Mercedes Geländerwagen might have the best stock
>4x4 system with diff locks both front, rear and central, but I'm not

sure.

>Can someone point me in the right direction?

>And please: I'm looking for unmodified drivetrains - I know I could
>add aftermarket locks (ARB etc.) to my >Jeeps but I'm looking for the
>best unmodified 4x4 vehicle for use in >snow...

>Best regards,

Christopher
Oslo, Norway

> any 4x4 can be good in the snow it all depens on the TYRES. BUY some good
>snow tyres.
>james

yes yes and yes, any part time 4wd system can handle deep snow effectively,
things that help make it better, number 1 is good aggressive tires, number 2
aggressive tires, a standard transmission will outperform an auto tranny in 4wd
situations, its all i will ever drive off road and in the snow, a limited slip
rear dif is very important, a powerful motor helps a lot as well, i find a lot
of 4cyl and 6cyl 4wd's lack enough power to muscle through deep snow and slush
with ease, the 3 vehicles you mentioned are as good as any, but proper setup
makes all the difference, my ram is like a bulldozer in the snow, but i have
all the good stuff, awesome tires, heavy vehicle(7k lbs), a std tranny with a
granny 1st gear, plus 4:10's in the rear, a limited slip, and a v-10, i have
yet to meet a new england snowstorm that has given me hard time as of yet, and
we had some good ones! a couple of 2 footers a bunch of 1 footers, last year a
3 footer + , no problems!

79 T/A WS6 455 ,Hurst 4 spd, Blk w/ t-tops, Heavily Fortified, 4mpg

00 Ram 2500HD QC V-10 4x4,Blk,5 spd,4:10 LSD, 10mpg

98 Intruder 1400, Blk, 5 spd, 25mpg