Old December 15th 05, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Heated seat problem

Haywood,
If the seats are anything like the Audis of "old", it's either a problem
with the switch, a problem with the control relays, or a broken wire in the
seat heater element. The first two shouldn't be too hard to diagnose. The
broken wire is a tougher thing to check - involving removing the upholstery
from the seat (kinda like the Furby Autopsy). See:
http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/seatheat.htm
For an idea of what repair is like on the older cars. The heater wires
don't take kindly to bending - and you do that every time you sit on the
seat. Many cycles result in a break in the wire. Loss of seat heat is one
thing that I have heard from A4, etc. owners - I suspect that we'll be
hearing about non functional power windows next (as the harness in the
driver's door jamb begins to break).
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - non functional driver's seat heater, repaired breaks in
numerous flexing wiring harnesses
1980 Audi 5k - seat heaters work!!! - fixed 'em myself
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - "seat heaters? what will they
think of next?"
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

. net...