Old September 8th 05, 05:33 AM
Don \Gunner\ Hancock

Goy Larsen wrote:
> Shrapnel wrote:
>
>>I once put a hard disc from a P3-800Mhz into a Twin P4 Xeon with
>>different... Well... Everything.
>>
>>XP just plugged and played and did not ask for re-activation.
>>
>>tbh, I was not aware such a feature was in XP at all, and being in the
>>industry I might have heard.

> Like Andi said, it's there, my guess is that you're using a "volume
> license" and those doesn't require activation at all for very good
> reasons, but it's there in the OEM, Retail and Upgrade packages
>

> Beers and cheers
> (uncle) Goy
>
> "When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
> they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."
>
> --Our Lord John Cleese--

Actually it's NOT in the "retail" versions. The OEM versions allow
(supposedly) 6 "hardware changes." Now, these are typically sound card,
video card, hard drive, etc. changes, but can be anything that doesn't
checksum the same as it was when XP was installed. The Retail versions
(full and upgrade) don't have this limitation. Microsoft was ensuring
that their OEM's wouldn't install the same copy of XP on different
machines - since XP WILL activate more than once (I think 3 is the limit
before you have to phone MS).

Gunner