Old August 10th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Adney

Default What can kill a voltage regulator?

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:43:42 -0700 (PDT) Ken H >
wrote:

>Ok, I got a '67 bug and my generator light came on. Both the generator
>and regulator were new (the whole car was restored from the ground
>up...just got it out the shop 3-months ago...and although both gen &
>reg were built new (not rebuilt) by BOSCH, they were built in Mexico,
>so...

The late style VRs have the whole upper body hot (either D+ or B+, I
don't remember) so you have to be careful that they can't short to
anything.

The full fielding test you did was a reasonable thing to do, assuming
you also removed the DF wire when you did the test. (If you didn't
remove that wire, then you probably fried the VR during the test.) If
it won't go above 14 V, then there's something wrong with the
generator.

You should also put the battery on a trickle charger for a few days
and verify that it's okay. It should slowly rise to above 13 V,
although this can take quite long if the trickle is small and the
battery is discharged.

The symptoms you started out with COULD also be due to a bad battery,
but it's clear that you have other bad parts by now.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA