Old September 18th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Default First Small Truck With Air Conditioning in United States

Heather & Joe Way wrote:

> The later the truck, the more room it is likely to have under the dash
> and the hood for the necessary hardware, and the more likely that the
> stock engine will be powerful enough to make it practical to drive in
> modern traffic.

I'm not so sure of that. The old flatheads left plenty of room under the hood;
mostly above the engine. So did the old inline 6s from the 1950s and 60s.

As far as power is concerned, my '61 E-100 had a lot less power than my '40
Ford, and there were plenty of Falcons running around with that engine and AC. I
suspect that any small truck after the model-T era would do ok in this regard.

One problem you may have, though, is the relay that kicks the AC in. That's
usually 12v negative ground, and old Fords (at least) are 6v positive ground. A
replacement (and some creative wiring) might be needed.

George Patterson
If you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess
to anything.