Old April 14th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Default Too Much Oil Pressure

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I just built an 1835.
>>92 mm cylinders, with stock 69 mm crank, with 110 cam.
>>I also put a full flow oil system with schadek, 30 mm hd pump with
>>external cooler, and filter. I am using Fram HP1 oil filter as per
>>schadek's recommendations.
>>I am using the stock oil pressure bypass valves and springs, that came
>>with the dual relief case.
>>I did drill and tap the case, so oil exits at pump cover, runs to
>>filter, up through cooler, and then back into block in the upper left
>>corner of block.
>>For some reason I keep blowing the seal on my filter.
>>As near as I can tell it is running 45 to 55 psi, and will surge to
>>65, and up to 80 at 5000 rpms. I am running 20w 50 oil. The pressure
>>will drop to 20 psi at idle.
>>Is there a way to adjust the bypass valves down, so that the system
>>does not build so much pressure?
>>If engine is cold, I can blow seal with by reving the engine once, to
>>1400 to 2000 rpms.
>>

> before you go through all the other things spoken of, get a good
> filter....the fram hp1 has had many many folks report blowing the seal
> out...your pressure isn't excessive.....
>
> (just for info, the oil pressure relief/regulator piston and spring is the
> front(front is front) piston in a dual relief case)

30mm pump is the main culprit. Nothing in the engine configuration
warranting one. 20W50 oil. YES HE HAS TOO MUCH PRESSURE, that pump is
way overkill and will actually make the engine overheat. (Oil is
bypassing the cooler because the engine thinks it's cold)

Switch to an aluminum bodied 26mm Schadek pump and sell that 30mm one or
use as paperweight.

Break the engine in with 10W30 or 10W40, use 20W50 only in very high
temperatures and worn engines.

You do not need ANY more oil pressure than (good condition) stock
pressure, anything above that is just going to cause more problems than
what it might fix.

Jan