Old July 31st 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Default 94 Honda Civic doesn't start after oil change

"cvk69" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I re-soldered the Main Relay and put the key in II position a couple
> of times. Both times the pump started right away. I cranked the car a
> couple of times. I still doesn't start.
> If I depress the fuel injector tip I get a very fine spray of fuel.
> So, I think system is under pressure. I don't have fuel pressure
> gauge. I suspect that the injectors are not getting the proper signals
> to open on time. The yellow-black wire has battery voltage on it when
> key is in Position II. Yellow-black wire on each injector comes from
> the Main-Relay.

Yes, that is the signal wire. It will have voltage at all times when the
key is at II. The injectors will activate once the ECU grounds the other
end of that circuit. This energizes the solenoid coil and opens the
injector.

At idle, the injectors are only open for about three milliseconds, so you
need a good head of steam behind the injector for the right amount of fuel
to be ejected in that tiny span of time. If the fuel pressure is too low,
you won't get enough pressure to push much fuel through the nozzle, and you
may get insufficient fuel to run the engine.

(Also, I was wrong about them not popping open unless pressure was at
37psi. For some reason I had mechanical injectors in mind, which our Hondas
have never had. Had been reading documentation on the Triumph PI system of
the '70s.)

> Where does the other wire on each injector come from? ECU? I am
> wondering if something may be telling the ECU not to turn on the
> injectors. But then why doesn't my check engine light come on?

Because there's nothing wrong with your injectors or the ECU.

You have a fuel pump problem, a possible filter problem, or a blockage
somewhere. You might even have a failed fuel pressure regulator diaphragm.

You MUST find a way to get the fuel pressure checked.

One other thing you can do: Remove the low-pressure return hose from the
regulator, install a temporary hose on the regulator, leading into a
measured jar. Now crank the motor for 15 seconds and see how much gas gets
pumped into the jar. I don't know offhand what you ought to find, so just
measure and report back here for now. I'll look it up later.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/