Old January 18th 12, 07:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

Default SCT "Free Tunes for Life"

In article >,
twk > wrote:

> In article >,
> "biofilm" > wrote:
>
> > "twk" > wrote in message
> > > Just a short story I'd like to share.
> > >
> > > I bought my SCT X3/XF3 tuner from a local shop near where I live. They
> > > will update my tuner for life. No problem there. A buddy of mine loved
> > > it and did the same thing, bought his from the same local shop.
> > >
> > > The friend of mine then bought a cold air intake from American Muscle
> > > and they won't send him a tune for the CAI. He didn't buy the SCT tuner
> > > from them, so they won't send him the tune.

> > hard to see why a tune "needs to know" if there is a cold air intake or not.
> >
> > after all, the air temp sensor has that nailed, also the maf.

> One thing I love about American Muscle, they have answers:
> <http://www.americanmuscle.com/cai-faq-answer-popup.html>
> <http://www.americanmuscle.com/why-tune-required-cai-popup.html>
>
> Crap, an incomplete example from AM. There is much more to it than that.
> Well, maybe someone can provide a link to the following. I hope I get
> this right:
>
> First off, all the CAI's I've looked at reuse your stock mass air flow
> sensor.
>
> With an aftermarket free flowing intake path, your stock mass air flow
> sensor can saturate, meaning more air will be flowing past it than it
> can sense. This can cause a lean burn situation, damaging your engine. A
> tune will "re-curve" the software controlling your MAF sensor and
> prevent this from happening.
>
> Some aftermarket intakes are not much better than stock, but look good,
> sound great, and don't require a tune. Some people like the looks and
> new sound from those parts and that's fine for them. It's less expensive
> too.
>
> But if you shop around you'll see some cold air intakes _require_ a tune
> because they _will_ damage your engine by causing a lean burn condition
> if you don't re-tune your car. You'll gain much more power from one of
> these tune-required intakes too.

Found a link from Ford Racing for the v6 intake. Others are similar.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11129
It says, in BOLD type:
Calibration is necessary to prevent engine damage! Calibration not
included!

Still not the link I saw not long ago, but you get the idea I hope.

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.