Old February 17th 10, 07:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David A Stocks[_3_]

Default Headlight adjustment

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>
>> Obviously a new windscreen would sort out the problem and I'm sure I
>> could arrange for a large stone to fly through it on my way home one day
>> and ask the insurance people to fit me a new one, but I've read that a
>> replacement windscreen never quite seals as well as the factory original.
>> I would only follow this route if I knew the result would be good!

That may have been true in the days when they were held in by a rubber
gasket, but these days the glass is bonded to the bodywork so there isn't
too much that can go wrong if it's done properly.

My 156 went through two windscreens in a year. They were both replaced under
insurance by the local Autoglass. It's possible that taking the car to a
workshop is better than having it replaced by a mobile unit because you have
to wait an hour or two for the bonding goo to cure, during which the car
can't be moved.

The first replacement was done in a hurry for an MOT re-test - the screen
had cracked the day before the booked service/test - and Autoglass were
worried that the car would be put onto a ramp for the re-test before the goo
had fully cured; it takes a couple of days, apparently. Their concerns were
unfounded because the tester just looked at the new screen and then wrote
the certificate, and there certainly weren't any problems with either of the
installations.

> How do you know it's not an original? At least one of my 156s didn't seem
> to be the real deal IYSWIM. No leaks though. I'd go this route if it's
> really bugging you.

A sure sign that it's been replaced will be if it's a different make from
the rest of the glass. The original glass on my car was all Pilkington, but
both replacement windscreens were/are Splintex.

BTW this car is being P/Ex'd for a Brera very soon. If anyone wants to make
me a better offer they're welcome. Details a

156 2.4 JTD reg. April 2000, 91,500 miles, Silver.
Sports Pack 3, which means dark blue leather interior, sports suspension,
side skirts and 16" telephone dial alloy wheels.

David Stocks