Old February 17th 10, 03:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default Headlight adjustment

GT wrote:
> "GT" > wrote in message

> [snip]

>>> Mine weren't that bad. Hope you like them.

>> I'm not as immediately impressed as I expected to be - they certainly dont
>> seem 3x brighter than normal bulbs, as they were advertised, but the light
>> colour is just like daylight! (I went for 5k colour).
>>
>> I'll find out how good they are for driving next week on my way home from
>> Glasgow - country roads and no street lights. Only been round the block so
>> far.

> Brilliant. Likey muchy.

Told ya.

> Was worth all the swearing, tantrums and 3-way
> finger bending to fit the bloody things (passenger side). Driving home last
> night... Country road, dark, bit foggy = looked like daylight! Glad I went
> for the 50w ones over the 35w. Recommend. Now, whats next... turbo chargers,
> upgraded brakes, maybe a big beer shelf on the back - no that would be just
> silly - I don't want my aerodynamics to be slowing me down!!
>
> Actually, a serious point - after 7 years of 'gritty' driving, I have lots
> of very fine scratches on the windscreen where the wipers have wiped away
> dirt and grime? Not a problem during the day, but oncoming lights really
> difract (?) all over the windscreen and dazzle when they shouldn't. Has
> anyone else experienced this in an older car and is there a solution?

I had considered polishing it, but I suspect you'd end up with really
screwed optics.

> Obviously a new windscreen would sort out the problem and I'm sure I could
> arrange for a large stone to fly through it on my way home one day and ask
> the insurance people to fit me a new one, but I've read that a replacement
> windscreen never quite seals as well as the factory original. I would only
> follow this route if I knew the result would be good!

How do you know it's not an original? At least one of my 156s didn't
seem to be the real deal IYSWIM. No leaks though. I'd go this route if
it's really bugging you.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk