Old February 7th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default Ford gets a clue

Kruse wrote:
> On Feb 6, 7:41 pm, (Brent P) wrote:
>> In article . com>, Kruse wrote:

>> 1) Everybody else in the US is doing it.
>> 2) UAW contracts with all sorts of nonsense that cost Ford a lot of money
>> don't apply to the foreign competition.

> Yea, I know.
> What started all this is when the government allowed foreign
> manufactures to build in the US. While the domestics had to pay for
> health care for aging workers, the foreign makers hired young
> employees that cost them virtually nothing give them insurance. And
> while the foreign makers can take a foreign-built part and simply
> paint it or put a sticker on it and call it domestically made, that
> isn't right either.
> It also isn't right that Ford can built a transmission/engine/whatever
> halfway around the world and make it cheaper than they can
> domestically.
> I will never buy a new Fusion or Focus. I can also say that while I
> have purchased new Fords in the past, I probably never will in the
> future.
> Maybe Ford should just have their cars built domestically by a foreign
> maker and just put their name on it.............

As Brent stated, Ford isn't close to the first manufacturer to see the
writing on the wall. Look at where most of the day to day stuff we use
is manufactured. It isn't here. Our standard of living is the result
of utilizing cheap third world labor to manufacture goods for our own
consumption. Automobiles are no different than sneakers, underwear, or
TVs. Know why Toyota makes cars and trucks here? Because it is cheaper
than making them in Japan. If the Big Three effectively use Third world
labor to sell car

The fact is we don't have the workforce to manufacture all crap we
consume. We also don't have a workforce that is willing to do all the
tedious, boring and low paying jobs to product all that crap at
affordable prices. This is why there is such a demand for illegal
immigrant labor. Automobile manufacturing is going to leave this
country as it will leave Japan too. It has happened with many other
industries, like cloths manufacturing for instance, and it will happen
with many more over time. It is inevitable and evolutionary.