Old August 6th 14, 07:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default car alarm problems

really real > wrote:

>The service guy had told me that they would disconnect my alarm in a way
>that would allow me to still use the remote. It turns out he was talking
>in BMW double speak language. What he really meant was that the alarm
>would not be disconnected but he would show me how to manually lock the
>car and that this would probably stop the alarm from going off.

Note that the locking system and the alarm aren't the same thing, and you
seem to be talking as if you think they are. They _do_ interoperate with
one another though.

>Manually locking a four door car is not the easiest thing to do, but
>it's better than leaving the car unlocked for the two weeks it takes BMW
>Germany to uncover the part and send it to Canada.

What is the part anyway?

>Also, the part which would stop the tailgate from opening by itself,
>which he said they now had, turned out to be the wrong part, so this too
>will take two weeks to fix.
>
>Leaving the car at the BMW shop was a real treat for the seagulls, who
>covered the hood in seagull ****. It was a nice symbolic end to the day.
>
>I'm trying to see the bright side of all this. I have a brand new car
>which has two defective parts? It's like owning a Jaguar, something I
>always dreamed of.

This is not strictly a BMW problem, but it's part of the general problem of
increasing complexity of electronics in modern cars. BMW is worse than most
manufacturers because they are pushing more and more new electronics in faster
than everyone else. But, you can have a similar experience with a Cadillac
today too.

Mind you, I never lock my car because I figure it just encourages thieves.

>The BMW shop doesn't store parts and it takes them two weeks to get a
>part from Germany? It's like having a Lamborghini, something I never
>even dreamed of.

So why weren't they willing to loan you a car for two weeks? Did you even ask
for a loaner?
--scott