Old November 11th 05, 01:58 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Default Passed inspection!

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>Here in Houston there are both emisions testing and highly modified newer
>miatas so I would think that there is already a established solution or at
>least series of potential solutions.

You could use the OEM CPU to return OBD codes and a front end to actually
control the engine as well as pass through the codes.

And I am sure aftermarket ECUs will eventually upgrade from 8088
chips with 1kb memory chips to 8086 screamers with enough memory
to return OBD II codes.

Leon

>Chris
>99BBB
>
>"Chas Hurst" > wrote in message
>>
>> "pws" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Yet.
>>>
>>> We just started in September. For pre-1996 cars, they just sniff the
>>> tail pipe, but for 1996+ cars I am pretty sure that there has to be an
>>> OBD-II connector/computer or they can't legally do it.
>>>
>>> If this is the case, it is going to make things very difficult for
>>> people who have upgraded their engine computers on newer cars.
>>>
>>> Pat

>> That's the case here in SE PA. The emission test consists of a fuel cap
>> check and a scan of the OBDII port. All this for the princely sum of $45 +
>> plus fees = about $75.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)