Old July 31st 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dudly

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

"88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in message
> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>
> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>
> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> and should be ignored.
>
> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>
> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> little cost.
>
> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> annoying.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

I had a rebuilt engine put in, went to solid mounts, new clutch, and they
changed out the oil in the rear end.
And ended up with a lot more drive train noise around 65 to 80 MPH, very
noticeable, in any gear with clutch engaged.
After driving it for a few months, it is gone.
I think the angle of engine to drive shaft was off. (only like 4 degrees or
so total)
If it was just gears, it should not have a resonance 60 to 90 km/hr, should
be noisy proportional to speed, seems like the tires/driveshaft would have
to be involved too.
Let us know what you fine out.