Old August 29th 04, 10:45 PM
Mike Atkins

Default Need a starter for my 1953 Series 62 (12v)

You have a number of choices:

The most expensive (but I've always found excellent quality) is to call USA
Parts http://usapartssupply.com/ & order a rebuilt unit. After you send
them your old one for the core refund, it'll probably end up costing $200+.

The less expensive way, but you'll be without your car for few weeks, is
sending the starter off to a rebuilder like Ferris Auto in North Bay
705-474-4560 (haven't dealt with anyone in US). Typically $100 - 150.

Or what I've done, if the windings aren't fried, is pick up a rebuild kit or
two (brushes/springs, bearings/bushings) while at Carlisle or one of the
other auto flea markets and and rebuild it myself ... it's not difficult.
It may only need a good cleaning. Usually < $50.

The same method can be used for the solenoid. The rebuild kits are still
readily available & about $15.

"Robin Banks" > wrote in message
> Anyone happen to have a working starter for my '53 Series 62 sedan?
> (All Caddies are 12v from '53 on, BTW.)
>
> Links to cheap/quality rebuiders would be helpful as well. (In Michigan a
> bonus!) The guys around here just look at mine and say "no". Dunno

why... a
> starter should be a starter, right?
>
> Getting a little tired of just looking at it... and the driving season is
> going to be over before long! I love my Edsel, but you can't beat the

Caddie
> on long trips. (Or when there's lots of stuff to pack in that cavernous

trunk