Old March 3rd 14, 05:40 PM posted to misc.legal,rec.autos.driving,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Andrew

Default I was found guilty of cellphone gps use in CA and now they overturnedthe law

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:25:36 -0500, richard >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 20:00:14 -0800, Mark Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> I was found guilty of cellphone gps use in CA and now they overturned the
>>> law according to a ruling released today.
>>>
>>> http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...-while-driving
>>> California court OKs using cellphone map while driving
>>>
>>> Since I used a similar argument, that I was just using the GPS, is there a
>>> way I can get my money back?

>> Too bad.
>> Let's say you got a ticket last month for doing 65 in a 55mph zone.
>> Today, the speed limit is changed to 65.
>> Can you get your money back from the citation?
>> Nope.
>>
>> You might be able to petition the court to have the record expunged.

> Totally different bullis.
>
> Maybe you should try putting on your thinking cap before you open your
> mouth for once?

Evan, Richard;s comment seems most certainly applicable in general.
Just because a law is made however doesn't (and I would guess more often
than not) is not retroactive.

Skip's suggestion about simply checking to see if this specific one is
before proceeding seems to be a definitive word on this. Hopefully the
OP will let us know.

Now for the future, it's a (IMHO) stupid ruling and probably will
(again) be changed. I would venture one might spend MORE time looking
at a map that reading a short text. I don't know how this one got
through the CA legislature.

Regards -

- Andrew