Old October 29th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

Default Is This The Magic Battery?

:

>> http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...e-sets-600km-s
>> ingle-charge-record/
>>
>> Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. These guys have run a
>> car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
>> mph. That's awesome if true. It could be America's way out of buying
>> foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.
>>
>> My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. A Chevy Volt goes
>> 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
>> The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. Big
>> difference. Maybe we have cheap transportation again? CAFE
>> standards? Unncessary. And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
>> natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.
>>
>> Just hope its real.
>>

>go to Wiki and read about NiMH batteries;there's a section in there about
>NiMH for autos,and how the car companies blocked it's use.

It says: "Currently, more than 2 million hybrid cars worldwide are
running with NiMH batteries,[6] e.g., Prius, Lexus (Toyota), Civic,
Insight (Honda), Fusion (Ford), and others."

NiMH is not as power dense as LiIon which is probably a bigger reason
that they are not used as much.