Old October 29th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
Dave Head

Default Is This The Magic Battery?

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:13:56 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
> wrote:

>On Oct 29, 4:30*am, Dave__67 > wrote:
>> On Oct 29, 6:59*am, Dave Head > wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...cle-sets-600km...

>> > Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. *These guys have run a
>> > car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
>> > mph. *That's awesome if true. *It could be America's way out of buying
>> > foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.

>> > My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. *A Chevy Volt goes
>> > 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. *Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
>> > The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. *Big
>> > difference. *Maybe we have cheap transportation again? *CAFE
>> > standards? *Unncessary. *And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
>> > natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.

>> > Just hope its real.

>> liPos are great- use them in *my model airplane.
>> Very light, awesome capacity.
>>
>> They have a huge downside though- physical trauma tends to make them,
>> well, explode.
>> So does overcharging.
>>
>> They are also damaged if they are discharged beyond a certain point.
>>
>> Dave

>I haven't really dug into the electrics but I don't see them ever
>replacing IC powered, augmenting, yes. I would love to have one but
>it would have to be a 3rd vehicle and used just for local trips
>(within around 40 miles).

Howcum? Why would you not want to jump in it and drive it from, say,
New York to Las Vegas?

>I live in a sparsely populated farming
>rural area withing 4 miles of town but that town is less that 2,000
>pop and thus shopping is limited. Nearest real shopping (and it is
>not all that great) is a 60 mile round trip.

Well, they just drove this particular car 400 miles without refueling,
sooo... what's the problem?

>Electrics, even the current ones, should do fine in an urban setting
>but the price is going to have to come down.

Oh, yeah, the price has to come down... but the cost of fuel is a big
mitigating factor.