Old October 29th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
richard

Default Is This The Magic Battery?

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:59:07 -0400, Dave Head wrote:

> http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...charge-record/
>
> Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. These guys have run a
> car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
> mph. That's awesome if true. It could be America's way out of buying
> foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.
>
> My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. A Chevy Volt goes
> 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
> The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. Big
> difference. Maybe we have cheap transportation again? CAFE
> standards? Unncessary. And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
> natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.
>
> Just hope its real.

Sure it's real. Just don't expect the vehicle to show up on the sales floor
in the USA in the next 50 years or so. As the big four auto makers in the
USA will keep it from being imported.

We could have had similar cars already in production and being sold. But
because the big four are not willing to change, they will not even begin
the production of such vehicles.

Why do you think we do not have engines that get 100mpg? Although the
technology is here to do it. It is a conspiracy between the big four and
OPEC to keep producing gas guzzlers.