Old August 14th 11, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default Tip on C5 Hard to Start

"aRKay" > wrote in message
>I was having some starting issues with my 2001 C5 Coupe. I would turn
> the key and there would be a long delay before the starter engaged.
> On
> one trip to the store it was dead and nothing happened for a long
> time.
>
> I recalled a starting issue a few years ago when it was still under
> warranty and the dealer fixed the problem by ordering a new key. I
> changed keys to my backup and it starts fine now.
>
> Who would think a worn out key would cause such a problem. Now how
> to obtain a replacement key. As I recall the dealer had to order
> one
> from GM

Not always so, they can be bought on line and purchased and cut at
some hardware stores about $30. A good dealer will be in that range,
somewhat.
http://www.locksmithcharley.com/transponder.html The guy is a great
help. Scroll to the bottom and if you can read an Ohms meter you can
identify your key blank, there are only 15 values, and have one cut
locally. Don't remember the C5 key configuration so it maybe different
than what I have done. The value is sometimes stamped as a two letter
identification on the key blanks. I did it this year on a 2008 Pontiac
and I could program that key after a hardware store cut the key. Not
always the same on car brands so check it out first.