Old July 5th 05, 01:28 PM
TeGGeR®

wrote in
oups.com:

> Hello, I just had the pipe directly connected to my muffler (I think it
> is sometimes referred to as either the "B" pipe or "C" pipe)

Probably the "C" pipe. The "B" pipe is attached directly to the rear of the
catalytic converter.

> replaced
> on my '97 Honda Civic DX due to rusting. It was suggested I have my
> muffler replaced also, but I didn't see a problem with the muffler so I
> just had the pipe replaced instead.

You'll be back next year, when (not IF) something else goes.

It's actually cheaper in the long run to use dealer parts. They last seven
years, as opposed to Midas's one or two years.

> After having the car fixed, I
> noticed a rattling sound coming from under my car... I usually only
> hear it when I drive at very low speeds or apply the brakes (mostly
> when I'm at a stop sign or red traffic light). When I am driving at a
> "regular" speed I don't hear the rattling sound at all. I've read that
> this may possibly be some heatshield problem or maybe even at problem
> with the cat converter??

The cat has two heat shields. A large hose clamp will secure them if the're
noisy.

> I only noticed this after getting my exhaust
> pipe replaced at Midas last week (never heard the sound before) so I am
> wondering if I would have to perhaps get a new heatshield? Does anyone
> have an estimate as to how much it costs to get that replaced??

Just get Midas to rip the old one off (or do it yourself). They may do it
no-charge.

If you want to replace it, most of them are between $20 and $50, and maybe
a half-hour's labor to install.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ