Old August 8th 04, 01:26 PM
aRKay

In article >,
"C5Guy" > wrote:

> Can someone please post the recall notice information. I am in the UK and I
> have not got one and I don't know if I will.
>
> Many thanks

The following is a partial of the notice

Product Safety - Electronic Column Lock System #04006A - (Jul 26, 2004)
04006A -- Electronic Column Lock System
1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette Equipped with a Manual Transmission

1997-2000 Chevrolet Corvette Equipped with an Automatic Transmission

2001-2004 Chevrolet Corvette Equipped with an Automatic Transmission -
European Export Only

THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND REPLACES BULLETIN 04006, ISSUED APRIL 2004.
ADDITIONAL VEHICLES HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE POPULATION. THIS BULLETIN
DOES NOT INCLUDE A SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR 1997 MANUALS AND EXPORT
AUTOMATICS, OR 1998 MANUALS AND EXPORT AUTOMATICS BUILT THROUGH 5/25/98.
THE BULLETIN WILL BE REVISED WHEN PARTS FOR THESE VEHICLES ARE AVAILABLE.

ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 04006 SHOULD BE DESTROYED.

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor
vehicle safety, exists in certain 1997-2004 model year Chevrolet
Corvette vehicles. When you remove the ignition key, the electronic
column lock (ECL) system prevents turning of the steering wheel. When
the vehicle is started, it unlocks the steering. Two conditions can
prevent steering while the vehicle is moving:

The vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the
vehicle is started, the fuel supply will be shut off if the driver tries
to move the vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low
or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle
can be accelerated while the steering is locked.
During quick cranks, the ECL lock pin may not withdraw fully and, in
vehicles where there is abnormally low clearance to the lock plate,
there may be contact between the pin and lock plate. This can cause a
noise or ratcheting when the steering wheel is turned, or if there is
insufficient clearance, the steering wheel cannot be turned.
If one of these conditions occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

Correction
Dealers are to remove the column lock plate on U.S. and Canadian
vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. After the service
correction, the steering column will no longer lock when the key is
removed.

On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, and export vehicles
equipped with an automatic transmission, dealers are to 1) reprogram the
PCM, and 2) verify there is adequate lock plate clearance and, if
necessary, replace the lock plate. After the service correction, the
steering column will continue to lock when the key is removed.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 1997-2004 model year Chevrolet Corvettes equipped
with a manual transmission