Old April 18th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Henry Q. Bibb[_2_]

Default '75 1800 cc. pancake with Syntehtic oil?

> On Apr 14, 7:53 am, (Bill) wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering if putting full synthetic oil in the 1800cc aircooled
> > bus will cause any problems with the old type eengine seals. It runs
> > nicely now, and doesnt use oil, (dripping, or burning). I just wouldnt
> > want to disturb it, and cause problems if it doesnt like it.

'Tain't the same thing, of course, but Mobil recalled it's synthetic
aviation oil because of problems in air-cooled Continental and Lycoming
4-bangers. I don't remember the details, but I seem to recall there
were some issue with cam wear or some such.

Now, the aircraft engine isn't a VW, and it probably works harder, but I
think I'd be wary.

Henry Bibb