Old September 13th 05, 06:14 PM
Ted B.

>> Now I want to hear from Nissan Maxima 3.5L owners . . . what speed (MPH)
>> is equivalent to 3200RPM engine speed in your Nissan Maxima in top gear
>> (O/D enabled, if it's an automatic)?

> It is well over 80 mph, and, with my 2 recent speeding tickets, I never
> cruise at that speed.
>

> If you pay attention to RPM or MPH, have
>> you noticed an increase in fuel efficiency at that speed??? Since it's
>> an Otto Cycle engine with an 8000RPM redline, it should be most fuel
>> efficient around 3200RPM (8000 X .4). IS IT most fuel-efficient near
>> 3200 RPM? -Dave

> I dont have hard data, but no way it is most efficient at that kind of
> cruising
> speed.

Interesting! Is it really well over 80MPH at the most fuel-efficient range
of 3200RPM for the 3.5L V6 Otto Cycle engine? I guess that would make it
kind of tough to gather hard data. Who would keep the engine running at a
speed that equates to well over 80MPH for hundreds of miles? That would be
pretty gutsy in most areas of the U.S. Not unsafe at all, but not a good
idea, either, unfortunately.

From what you just told me though, it would seem that the Maxima was
designed for high-speed cruising, well over 80MPH. So it wouldn't be an
appropriate choice for a conservative driver. I don't doubt many people
think it's a real BLAST to drive, though. -Dave