Old June 7th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 95 Honda Civic Hesitation/shaking when accelerating

"Jacob" > wrote
> SYMPTOMS: car hesitating, shaking and misfiring on
> acceleration in
> every gear, smoothing out at higher RPM. the behavior
> worsened as the
> engine heated up.
>
> CAUSE: faulty (old and worn) spark plugs that were well
> past their
> expiration.
>
> SOLUTION: replace them with new ones.
>
> NOTES: well, it was the spark plugs. I don't feel bad
> about replacing
> the fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor as well though,
> and I still
> might replace the wires because these are all parts that
> needed
> replacing anyway.

Right on, Jacob! These will help your fuel mileage and the
longevity of more expensive parts, like the ignition coil.

> Plus, the problem with my car not starting after a
> heavy rain was not likely caused by bad spark plugs.

I wouldn't say that just yet.

I have yet so see
> if that still occurs. I did the water spray test though
> and I didn't
> notice a change. I also might need to set my idle speed.
> My car seems
> to be idling at lower RPM than it did before I changed the
> distributor
> cap and rotor. I would like to check the timing and do
> anything else
> that might increase my gas mileage.

Ebay has good deals on timing lights. One does not need
anything fancy.

> Thank you all so much for your help. I can't tell you how
> much I
> appreciate it.

Way to persist. Lesson learned is that many folks posting
here are kinda newbies to automotive diagnosis and
maintenance, so one should not assume something as basic as
the plugs have been regularly changed.