Old September 8th 05, 12:29 AM
XS11E

Lanny Chambers > wrote in:

>> > IIRC, the Stingray didn't have a real trunk, and GM wasn't
>> > particularly concerned about the car's weight. Not everyone shares
>> > your concept of good design.

>> The top was/and is a good design, probably the best manually operated
>> convertible top ever.
>>
>> Damn it's hard to discuss anything with people who read what they want
>> rather than what's written. ;-)

> Au contraire. I only meant that the top was heavy, and its convenient
> stowage came at the expense of luggage volume and access. If you don't
> care about weight or luggage, then it was a brilliant design. Of course,
> if you did care about those things, you probably wouldn't have owned a
> Corvette...

The top weighed about the same as the Miata top and the stowage took about
the same amount of space as the Miata's top. The luggage space was about the
same although much less accessable. As far as weight, my 1992 Miata weighs
2,216 lbs, my Corvette weighed 3,000 lbs. Considering the horsepower was
260% greater the weight wasn't much of a handicap. If I cared about weight
OR luggage space I would not have owned a Corvette nor would I own a Miata.

You really don't know much about Corvettes, do you?