Old January 26th 08, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Twayne

Default Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

> I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to
> change a flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard
> equipment jacks that come in a car I just don't trust.
>
> What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up
> the corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor
> jack? I want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack
> while I'm working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack
> stands for safety.
> Thanks.
> Walter

Floor jack. Bottle jacks have small lift points, harder to position,
shorter lift, and no give should the car move a quarter inch or so
during the lift, all of which a floor jack makes a lot more forgiving.
Besides, there being types made for the job.

Always block the other wheels, AT LEAST the wheel kitty-corner to the
wheel you're lifting. If lifting a front wheel set the emergency brake.
Always have car in Park for changing tires, never neutral.
Jack stands not usually necessary for changing a tire but a good idea
because "stuff" does happen. Only lift as far as necessary, never more.

Never hi jack,

Twayne

--
Twayne

Tired of MS Office and their shananigans?
Try this free replacement:
http://www.openoffice.org