Old January 26th 08, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
jJim McLaughlin

Default Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

Walter Cohen wrote:
> I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
> flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that
> come in a car I just don't trust.
>
> What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
> corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? I
> want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
> working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.
>
> Thanks.
> Walter

You need three wheel chocks what ever jack you feel most comfortable using.

For me, a floor jack with at least a 16" lift was best.

A lot depends upon what vehicle you are lifting.

For my uses, a bottle jack just doesn't have enough lift.

There is no "one size fits all" answer.