Old January 12th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

Default 2003 Honda CR-V EX headlight problem...help!

On 1/11/07 11:28 PM, in article ,
"!yoo!" <Postit> wrote:

>> On 1/9/07 10:49 PM, in article
>> , "!yoo!" <Postit>

>>> Yeah...that makes sense but, for a new car that has not
>>> been worked on I was thinking there was a plug loose or
>>> corroded that cause the same condition when you pull on
>>> the wire.
>>>
>>> Trouble is you can't see anything cause the eng
>>> compartment and underside is closed in so I was wondering
>>> if a Honda tech or someone with this experience could shed
>>> some light on this...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> DT

>> Well, I suppose its new compared to a '93, but in reality
>> its four years old. Plenty of time for corrosion, flex
>> breaks in the wires, etc. to start happening.
>>
>> After you put it all back together, does it still work if
>> you play with the wire? If so, then it pretty much has to
>> be in the wiring at or near the plug. There's no magic
>> bullet for that, you just have to find it & fix it.
>>
>> Most of the circuitry is in common with the left headlight.
>> The unique things are the right headlight fuse, relay,
>> ground & of course the wiring right at the light. So if the
>> left headlight is still working, just look at those things.
>>
>> Does the high beam work on the right side? The same fuse &
>> relay feed the right side high and low beams: headlight
>> relay 1 and fuse 17 in the under hood fuse box (large black
>> box immediately behind the battery - the key is on the
>> underside of the cover). If the high beam works, the fuse is
>> good and the relay is working (& of course, if the high beam
>> is also out, check those two things). An easy way to check
>> the relay is to swap it with the one for the left headlight
>> and see if the problem moves to the other side.
>>
>> The ground for the right headlight is at the common ground
>> for everything on the right side of the engine compartment.
>> It is behind the right side of the front bumper (remove the
>> bumper to get to it). The wires end in eyelets with a
>> single screw binding them all to the chassis. Unless a
>> bunch of other stuff is also flakey, its probably not the
>> ground.
>>

> Thanks! Are you referring to passenger side as right side?

Yes. The service manual talks about left side and right side from the
perspective of someone sitting in the car.

> Do you know where the ground is for the drivers side
> headlight?

There is a similar terminus for all the grounds on the left side behind the
left side of the bumper. The left headlight ground is in that bundle.