Old December 17th 05, 09:40 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Looking for A3 "Real World" Impressions

I test drove an Audi A3 (new model in USA) a few months ago, and liked
it (but didn't buy one at the time).

I'm starting to seriously consider a new car at this time and would be
interested in hearing people's real-world experiences with the A3
(particularly the DSG Automatic Transmission) - both positive and negative.

The main negatives for me at the time we a) Turbo engine requires
premium gas (Gas prices were spiking at the time) and b) the cargo space
was smallish. (ie-My golf bag wouldn't fit in the back without folding
the rear seat down. - That's a relatively minor gripe though....)

I've since read reports - some say that you CAN use regular gas with
engines that require premium gas per the manufacturer recommendations
(although "performance" would suffer, while others say that you'd be
risking engine damage by doing so. (ie - pinging and knocking).

Which is the case with the A3? I'm an average driver that like the A3's
practicality. So at most times, I probably wouldn't be pushing the
engine too hard. However I do like the "fun factor" that the A3 can
provide on occassion, especially those paddle shifters. (I drive a
Subaru Forester now and see the A3 as a smaller, more luxurious, more
"fun to drive" car that would provide similar practicality.)

So any info on overall impressions and on the regular vs premium
gasoline question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!