Old August 7th 05, 12:10 AM
DougW

M Lee did pass the time by typing:
> I was driving my 1996 Larado GC 6 cyl in town yesterday when the "Check
> Engine Light" came on and the engine suddenly began running very rough
> and stalling. I managed to get home but the jeep is hurtin' .
>
> Per my Haynes manual I used the on/off on/off on/off ignition key
> routine to generate the error code(s) but the resulting multiple error
> codes left me scratching my head. Could someone help me interpret the
> following?

> Code 77 - The Haynes manual does not indicate the meaning of this error
> code.

77 - Malfunction detected with power feed to speed control servo solenoids.

... before doing anything else ..

check your battery terminals and make sure they arn't loose
and the connections between the battery ground and chassis,
ignition coil and chassis are both good.

... ..

12 is a common fault code, in combination with other fault codes like
you show it's also an indication that the battery terminal connection
is loose.

All those other codes can be thrown by misfire.

Also check the plug wires and the wire to the coil to make
sure nothing has come loose.

Disconnect and reconnect the MAP sensor connector. It's on the firewall
just back of the intake rail.

Sensors and locations here.
http://revbeergoggles.com/Fixes/diagnostics.html

--