Old August 19th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

Default Split/Different Front and Rear Cold Tire Pressures

On 8/18/2020 6:43 PM, wrote:
> AMuzi:
>
> Corvair
>
> The Corvair had a Front/Rear weight difference that
> definitely warranted the big difference between
> recommended front and rear cold tire pressures.
>
> The cars I'm talking about are somewhere in between
> that extreme, and the other: rear- and all-wheel drive
> sports sedans with almost no(less than 55/45) front-rear
> weight bias. The last time I checked, a typical BMW
> F/R weight split is like 51/49%. Yet recommended
> front/rear pressures differ by 5psi.
>
> My Honda Accord, for example, is F/R: 54/46% axle
> weight split. Some 'econoboxes' venture toward 60/40,
> yet for the Accord and those cars, a single pressure
> figure, for all tires, is specified on the door frame placard.

And all those have different suspension designs, rates, tire
sizes, front end geometry, body roll or lack thereof and so
on.

You're isolating one very small aspect of 'auto handling'
which is a very large area.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>